Friday, February 15, 2008

How to Build a Teepee - Part Two


The continuation of the indoor teepee.

I decided to continue work on the teepee yesterday afternoon. The cloth needed to be cut into two big triangular pieces.

But to make the circular footprint I used a piece of string the same length as the bamboo pole I needed to cover (plus 4" or 15cm so I can tuck it under). A safety pin in the corner and a felt pen taped to the string - voila: a compass! Catherine's scissors might be a little dulled from the subsequent snipping.

The sliding-bamboo-on-hardwood-flooring problem is being mitigated (temporarily) by putting the foot of the poles in shoes I am not using. My steel toed Wellingtons and bike shoes, precisely.


A few strategic safety pins later, and the first section went up. Then, as is always the case... I had only enough fabric cut to cover half the surface... even though from my calculation half the fabric should've sufficed... Don't worry I bought extra. And I managed to cut a whole other side out of it.

2 comments:

sarah said...

stylin'!

maybe you could duct tape the pole-ends? is that textured enough to stop slippage?

or we may have a punctured bike wheel lying about here. i'll ask.

are you decorating it? colours? shapes? tribal signs?

keke said...

no designs yet, just special lighting. It's going to be very bright at the top.